Saturday, September 10, 2011

It was a snowy winter

So this winter was crazy.  New York never got much snow in the years I lived here, but this one year was really crazy!  Emily and I went to Omaha for Christmas.  It was the first time I'd traveled during the holidays in a really long time.  Sure enough, New York got snowbombed and we had to extend our trip for about 4 or 5 days waiting for the airports to clear out.  Omaha was pretty cool though.  There were a lot more hills than I would have thought.

When we got home, there were still a lot of roads that hadn't been plowed.  Even our street, Lafayette Ave, still only had one open lane!  The snowstorm hit the city so hard and so fast, no one was ready for it.  City buses were abandoned in the middle of intersections, cars were stuck all over the place.  There wasn't enough space to throw the snow.  Some sidewalks were more like hallways, pointed towards the main arteries leading to work.

Maybe we worked after getting back, I don't remember.  What we did do was get ready for our New Year's Eve party.  There was enough snow in the backyard to build a giant, u-shaped couch for our guests.  Brian helped me set up the wood stove in the middle to keep everyone warm.  It was so good.

I miss the snow of my childhood.  Drifts went up to my shoulders.  My dog had to hop between our footfalls to keep above the crust.  The neighborhood kids would build enormous snow caves in the piles left in the middle of parking lots.  I could jump off the very top of the playground equipment and not get hurt one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment